Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In sickness and in health

My husband has been sick for the last few days.

In fact, it's worse than that. He began having symptoms of sickness at our Bachelors' Party (yes, plural on the bachelors), becoming more and more sick as the days have progressed. His stuffed sinuses and continual need to carry around a box of kleenex have been somewhat of a downer on the daylong honeymoon, rearrangement of the apartment, and other activities.

What it has done, however, is provide me a real example of what "in sickness or in health" means as a marriage vow. I readily admit that our marriage vows to each other did not include this line, but it is so oft repeated in American culture that it is ingrained into my thoughts of marriage.

It's messy to help someone when they are sick. It's difficult to put aside your plans so as to help buy the Sudafed and Robitussin. It's inconvenient to cut short your evening to instead tuck your mate into bed early. But it is love, and it is selfless, and it is the best for us, even if not the best for me.

I love this man. Whether in sickness, or in health, I love this man.

(Day 4)

No comments: