Wednesday, March 31, 2010

One year anniversary for Iowa same-sex couples

This coming Saturday, April 3 2010, will mark the one year anniversary of the unanimous Iowa Supreme Court ruling that stated it was unconstitutional to deprive same-sex couples of the institution of civil marriage. Jonas and I were directly impacted by this ruling, in that we were able to finally be recognized in the state where I grew up and where we visit my family. What a great day!

Not only that, Iowa Governor Chet Culver reiterated his support of the Democrat-controlled legislature to not bring same-sex marriage to a vote, saying:

“Regardless of our personal views, we have a line that needs to be drawn between the executive branch, the judicial branch and I think Iowans are ready to move on and accept that unanimous decision.”

Maybe not everyone is willing to accept it; all three Republican candidates for governor are opposed to same-sex marriage and . But I hope they fail ... after all, it would mean endangering the marriages of over 1,800 same-sex couples in the state. One of which Jonas and I would miss terribly should it disappear.

(Day 655)

No comments: